Hosts Sara, Michelle and Jessica talk about Eataly in New York City and soon in Rome, hunting mushrooms can be hazardous to your health, the annual prosciutto festival in Parma and speak with special guest Nan McElroy about living in Venice and her passion for voga, Venetian gondolier rowing.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Eataly in NYC - More Eataly in NYC and coming to Rome, too
- Mushroom hunter “massacre” claims 18 lives in Italy
- Parma Ham festival starts Sept 10
Nan McElroy, @LivingVenice on Twitter, has been writing, rowing and wining full time in Venice, Italy since 2004. She is the author of the practical, palm-sized Italy: Instructions to Use (soon to be in electronic format) and the popular Vap Map vaporetto guide. She contributes to Fodor’s as both a writer and photographer, is an AIS sommelier, and maintains LivingVeniceBlog.com. Nan is a passionate practitioner of the Voga alla Veneta (rowing like a gondolier), unique to Venice and its lagoon.
- Mentioned in the interview – Rowing lessons in Venice : http://www.rowvenice.com
Eye on Italy Angolo d’Italiano:
- disdire / disdetta
- to cancel or retract – used with events and reservations, too.
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: Eataly’s iPad/iPhone app (hat tip: @robbin_g) $4.99, & Love Padlocks invade the world
- Michelle: Piemontescapes: Flavors and Textures of Northwestern Italy by Diana Baur (link to Diana’s appearance on Eye on Italy); Peperoncino Festival in Diamante, Calabria
- Jessica: Anthony Bourdain: How I Travel
- Nan: Try a white wine from the Friuli-Venezia Giulia or Veneto regions if you come here! Get someone to recommend one for you.
- Deal of the Week:
- Airfare from Newark (EWR) to Venice (VCE) from $554 round-trip, dates in October-November
- See the WhyGo Italy travel deals page for the latest travel deals
Video of the week:
idea – there are previews of Nan’s voga documentary on the voga site – http://vogadoc.org/the-vogadoc-project/preview-the-voga-documentary/