Summary: Hosts Sara, Jessica and Michelle talk about Wi-fi on Italy’s trains, growing interest worldwide in Italian gelato, and we speak with Alex Leviton about traveling in Umbria.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Frecciarossa trains offering 1-cent WiFi through end of February [via @MyMelange on Twitter]
- Italian gelato scoops Chinese interest P.S. Italians eat 28 kg of pasta/year
Alex Leviton is a guidebook author, editorial director, travel writing retreat leader and writing instructor. She added the ‘Umbria’ to Lonely Planet’s Tuscany & Umbria in 2003, and has written all four editions since. This year, she is writing an iPhone app for Sutro Media entitled Umbria: The Slow Travel Guide to La Dolce Vita (due out June 2011) and leading a group of travel writers-to-be to a castle in the Umbrian countryside. She specializes in cultural and experiential travel.
Eye on Italy Angolo d’Italiano:
- wild boar
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: Confession: A Roman Catholic iPhone App
- Jessica: What kind of pasta is on my plate? [infographic]
- Michelle: Scordo.com: Pennsylvania Salami Makers: Homemade Soppressata or “Soupie”
- Alex: Gogobot.com – Alex’s profile on Gogobot
- Deal of the Week:
Video of the week:
- YouTube Arabic teacher in Italy takes part in Una Bella Giornata, film di Ceccho Zalone
- http://www.youtube.com/user/LearnArabicwithMaha – her channel