This week, hosts Sara, Jessica & Michelle have updates about the Jersey Shore in Florence and the garbage crisis in Naples, and then we speak to American expat Valerie Fortney Schneider about the Basilicata region.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Jersey Shore Finally Leaves Florence
- Garbage Crisis: Mayor fights uphill battle against Northern League and organized crime from Naples Politics by Anthony M. Quattrone
Valerie Fortney Schneider is a travel professional and freelance writer who moved from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Italy in 2006. She has worked in the travel and tourism industry for nearly two decades and writes about all things Italy for travel publications and websites. She and her husband Bryan bought a small house in Valerie’s ancestral region of Basilicata, where she selflessly samples local delicacies and tours hidden havens for the sake of writing and travel planning. Valerie and Bryan also recently launched a travel and property assistance business, My Bella Basilicata.
Eye on Italy Angolo d’Italiano:
- a type of cheese that is shaped in a “teardrop” shape. The literal Italian translation means “cheese on horseback” but could also derive from its saddlebag/yoke shape. [source]
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: Leif Pettersen‘s, former EOI guest, Florence iPhone app, “Florence Explorer” ($2.99) is out!
- Jessica: Soundtracker [Pandora for Italian music] via Nicole’s Zoomata blog
- Michelle: Italian hangman online
- Deal of the Week:
Video of the week: